- a poem or prose composition, usually describing pastoral scenes or events or any charmingly simple episode, appealing incident, or the like.
- a simple descriptive or narrative piece in verse or prose.
- material suitable for such a work.
- an episode or scene of idyllic charm.
- a brief or inconsequential romantic affair.
- Music. a composition, usually instrumental, of a pastoral or sentimental character.
- a poem or prose work describing an idealized rural life, pastoral scenes, etc
- any simple narrative or descriptive piece in poetry or prose
- a charming or picturesque scene or event
- a piece of music with a calm or pastoral character
also idyl, c.1600, “picturesque pastoral poem,” from Latin idyllium, from Greek eidyllion “short, descriptive poem, usually of rustic or pastoral type,” literally “a little picture,” diminutive of eidos “form” (see -oid).