- a person who migrates to another country, usually for permanent residence.
- an organism found in a new habitat.
- a person who comes to a country in order to settle thereCompare emigrant
- (as modifier)an immigrant community
- an animal or plant that lives or grows in a region to which it has recently migrated
“one who immigrates,” 1792, in an American context, from French immigrant, from Latin immigrantem (nominative immigrans), present participle of immigrare (see immigrate). Emigrant is older. As an adjective from 1805.