- a tax; tribute; duty.
- a customs duty.
- Horse Racing. the weight assigned to a horse in a race.
verb (used with object)
- to determine customs duties on, according to the kind of imports.
- a tax, esp a customs duty
- horse racing the specific weight that a particular horse must carry in a handicap race
- (tr) US to classify (imported goods) according to the duty payable on them
- architect a member at the top of a wall, pier, or column that supports an arch, esp one that has a projecting moulding
“tax, duty,” 1560s, from Middle French impost, from Medieval Latin impostum, from neuter of Latin impostus, contracted from impositus, past participle of imponere (see impostor).