noun, plural im·pro·pri·e·ties for 4, 5.
- the quality or condition of being improper; incorrectness.
- inappropriateness; unsuitableness.
- unseemliness; indecorousness.
- an erroneous or unsuitable expression, act, etc.
- an improper use of a word or phrase.
noun plural -ties
- lack of propriety; indecency; indecorum
- an improper act or use
- the state of being improper
1610s, “quality or fact of being improper,” from French impropriété (16c.), from Latin improprietas, from improprius (see improper). As “improper thing,” 1670s.