- an act of improving or the state of being improved.
- a change or addition by which a thing is improved.
- a person or thing that represents an advance on another in excellence or achievement: The new landlord is a great improvement over his greedy predecessor.
- a bringing into a more valuable or desirable condition, as of land or real property; betterment.
- something done or added to real property that increases its value.
- profitable use, as of a period of time.
- the act of improving or the state of being improved
- something that improves, esp an addition or alteration
- alteration of the structure, fixtures, fittings, or decor of a building without changing its functionCompare conversion (def. 9)
- (usually plural) Australian and NZ a building or other works on a piece of land, adding to its value
mid-15c., enprowment “management of something for profit,” from Anglo-French emprowement, from emprouwer “turn to profit” (see improve). Meaning “betterment; amelioration” is from 1640s. Meaning “buildings, etc. on a piece of property” is from 1773. Related: Improvements.