- exemption from punishment.
- immunity from detrimental effects, as of an action.
noun plural -ties
- exemption or immunity from punishment or recrimination
- exemption or immunity from unpleasant consequencesa successful career marked by impunity from early mistakes
- with impunity
- with no unpleasant consequences
- with no care or heed for such consequences
1530s, from Middle French impunité (14c.) and directly from Latin impunitatem (nominative impunitas) “freedom from punishment, omission of punishment,” also “rashness, inconsideration,” from impunis “unpunished, without punishment,” from assimilated form of in- “not, opposite of” (see in- (1)) + poena “punishment” (see penal).