verb (used with object)
- to implant or fix deeply and firmly, as in the nature or mind.
- ingrained; firmly fixed.
- (of fiber or yarn) dyed in a raw state, before being woven or knitted.
- made of fiber or yarn so dyed: ingrain fabric.
- (of carpets) made of ingrain yarn and so woven as to show a different pattern on each side; reversible.
- yarn, wool, etc., dyed before manufacture.
- an ingrain carpet.
verb (ɪnˈɡreɪn) (tr)
- to impress deeply on the mind or nature; instil
- archaic to dye into the fibre of (a fabric)
- variants of ingrained
- (of woven or knitted articles, esp rugs and carpets) made of dyed yarn or of fibre that is dyed before being spun into yarn
- a carpet made from ingrained yarn
- such yarn
1766, see engrain. Figurative use, of qualities, habits, etc., attested from 1851 (in ingrained). Of dyed carpets, etc., 1766, from in grain.