- situated in the original, natural, or existing place or position: The archaeologists were able to date the vase because it was found in situ.
- in place or position; undisturbed.
- (especially of a malignant tumor) in a localized state or condition: carcinoma in situ.
adverb, adjective (postpositive)
- in the natural, original, or appropriate position
- pathol (esp of a cancerous growth or tumour) not seen to be spreading from a localized position
Latin, literally “in its (original) place or position” (see situate (v.)).
- In the original position.
- Confined to the site of origin.
In the original place or arrangement: “The body was left in situ until the police arrived.” From Latin, meaning “in position.”