- a cut, notch, or deep recess: various bays and indentations.
- a series of incisions or notches: the indentation of a maple leaf.
- a notching or being notched.
- indention(defs 1, 2).
- a hollowed, notched, or cut place, as on an edge or on a coastline
- a series of hollows, notches, or cuts
- the act of indenting or the condition of being indented
- Also called: indention, indent the leaving of space or the amount of space left between a margin and the start of an indented line
1728, of margins or edges, extended form of indent (n.). Meaning “action of making a dent or impression” is from 1847.
- A notch, a pit, or a depression.
A space left between the left-hand margin of a line of type or handwriting and the beginning of a sentence or quotation. The beginning of a paragraph is usually indented.