- anything serving to indicate or point out, as a sign or token.
- Medicine/Medical. a special symptom or the like that points out a suitable remedy or treatment or shows the presence of a disease.
- an act of indicating.
- the degree marked by an instrument.
- something that serves to indicate or suggest; signan indication of foul play
- the degree or quantity represented on a measuring instrument or device
- the action of indicating
- something that is indicated as advisable, necessary, or expedient
early 15c., from Latin indicationem (nominative indicatio) “an indicating; valuation,” noun of action from past participle stem of indicare “point out, show,” from in- “into, in, on, upon” (see in- (2)) + dicare “proclaim,” from stem of dicere “to speak, to say” (see diction).
- Something that points to or suggests the proper treatment of a disease, as that demanded by its cause or symptoms.
- Something indicated as necessary or expedient, as in the administration of a drug.
- The degree indicated by a measuring instrument.