- without skill or aptitude for a particular task or assignment; maladroit: He is inept at mechanical tasks. She is inept at dealing with people.
- generally awkward or clumsy; haplessly incompetent.
- inappropriate; unsuitable; out of place.
- absurd or foolish: an inept remark.
- awkward, clumsy, or incompetent
- not suitable, appropriate, or fitting; out of place
c.1600, from Old French inepte (14c.) or directly from Latin ineptus “unsuitable, improper, absurd, awkward, silly, tactless,” from in- “not, opposite of” (see in- (1)) + aptus “apt” (see apt). Related: Ineptly; ineptness.