- not fertile; unproductive; sterile; barren: infertile soil.
- not capable of producing offspring; sterile
- (of land) not productive; barren
c.1600, from Late Latin infertilitatem (nominative infertilitas), from infertilis (see infertile).
- Absent or diminished fertility.
- The persistent inability to achieve conception and produce an offspring.
- Not capable of initiating, sustaining, or supporting reproduction.
- The inability to achieve conception after persistent attempts over a given period of time, usually one year in humans.
- Not capable of reproducing.
- Not capable of developing into a complete organism, as infertile eggs.
- Relating to soil or land that is not capable of supporting or is unfavorable to the growth of plants.