- a person or thing that inhibits.
- Chemistry. a substance that decreases the rate of or stops completely a chemical reaction.
- any impurity in a mineral that prevents luminescence.Compare activator(def 3).
- Rocketry. an inert antioxidant used with solid propellants to inhibit burning on certain surfaces.
- Also called: inhibiter a person or thing that inhibits
- Also called: anticatalyst a substance that retards or stops a chemical reactionCompare catalyst
- a substance that inhibits the action of an enzyme
- a substance that inhibits a metabolic or physiological processa plant growth inhibitor
- any impurity in a solid that prevents luminescence
- an inert substance added to some rocket fuels to inhibit ignition on certain surfaces
1868 in scientific use (earlier as a Scottish legal term), agent noun in Latin form from inhibit.
- A substance that restrains or retards physiological, chemical, or enzymatic action.
- A nerve whose stimulation represses activity.