- formal admission or acceptance into an organization or club, adult status in one’s community or society, etc.
- the ceremonies or rites of admission.Compare rite of passage.
- the act of initiating.
- the fact of being initiated.
- the act of initiating or the condition of being initiated
- the often secret ceremony initiating new members into an organization
1580s, from Middle French initiation or directly from Latin initiationem (nominative initiatio) “participation in secret rites,” noun of action from past participle stem of initiare “originate, initiate,” from initium (see initial).
- The act or an instance of initiating.
- The condition of being initiated.
- The first stage of tumor induction by a carcinogen in which cells are altered so that they are likely to form a tumor upon subsequent exposure to a promoting agent.