- the quality or state of being innocent; freedom from sin or moral wrong.
- freedom from legal or specific wrong; guiltlessness: The prisoner proved his innocence.
- simplicity; absence of guile or cunning; naiveté.
- lack of knowledge or understanding.
- harmlessness; innocuousness.
- an innocent person or thing.
- bluet(def 1).
- blue-eyed Mary.
- the quality or state of being innocentArchaic word: innocency (ˈɪnəsənsɪ)
mid-14c., “freedom from guilt,” from Old French inocence “innocence, purity, chastity” (12c.), from Latin innocentia, from innocens “harmless, blameless” (see innocent). Meaning “lacking in guile or artifice” is from late 14c.