- not harmful or injurious; harmless: an innocuous home remedy.
- not likely to irritate or offend; inoffensive; an innocuous remark.
- not interesting, stimulating, or significant; pallid; insipid: an innocuous novel.
- having little or no adverse or harmful effect; harmless
1590s, from Latin innocuus “harmless,” from in- “not” (see in- (1)) + nocuus “hurtful,” from root of nocere “to injure, harm,” from *nok-s-, suffixed form of PIE root *nek- “death” (see necro-). Related: Innocuously; innocuousness.
- Having no adverse effect; harmless.