noun, plural in·quir·ies.
- a seeking or request for truth, information, or knowledge.
- an investigation, as into an incident: a Congressional inquiry into the bribery charges.
- the act of inquiring or of seeking information by questioning; interrogation.
- a question; query.
noun plural -ries
- a request for information; a question
- an investigation, esp a formal one conducted into a matter of public concern by a body constituted for that purpose by a government, local authority, or other organization
mid-15c., enquery, from enquere (see inquire). Respelled from mid-16c. to conform to Latin.