- deficient in human sensibility, acuteness of feeling, or consideration; unfeeling; callous: an insensitive person.
- not physically sensitive: insensitive skin.
- not affected by physical or chemical agencies or influences: insensitive to light.
- not readily responsive or aware: insensitive to the needs of the peasants.
- lacking sensitivity; unfeeling
- lacking physical sensation
- (postpositive foll by to) not sensitive (to) or affected (by)insensitive to radiation
c.1600, “having little or no reaction to what is perceived by one’s senses,” from in- (1) “not, opposite of” + sensitive. For sense, see insensate. Meaning “without consideration for the feelings of others” attested by 1975. Related: Insensitively.