- any of several parts into which a debt or other sum payable is divided for payment at successive fixed times: to pay for furniture in monthly installments.
- a single portion of something furnished or issued by parts at successive times: a magazine serial in six installments.
- one of the portions, usually equal, into which a debt is divided for payment at specified intervals over a fixed period
- a portion of something that is issued, broadcast, or published in parts, such as a serial in a magazine
- another word for installation (def. 1)
“act of installing,” 1580s, from install + -ment. Meaning “arrangement of payment by fixed portions at fixed times” is from 1732, alteration of Anglo-French estaler “fix payments,” from Old French estal “fixed position,” from Old High German stal “standing place” (see stall (n.1)). Figurative sense of “part of a whole produced in advance of the rest” is from 1823.