- the person, group, or organization whose life or property is covered by an policy.
verb (used with object), in·sured, in·sur·ing.
- to guarantee against loss or harm.
- to secure indemnity to or on, in case of loss, damage, or death.
- to issue or procure an policy on or for.
verb (used without object), in·sured, in·sur·ing.
- to issue or procure an policy.
- covered by insurancean insured risk
- the person, persons, or organization covered by an insurance policy
- (often foll by against) to guarantee or protect (against risk, loss, etc)we insured against disappointment by making an early reservation
- (often foll by against) to issue (a person) with an insurance policy or take out an insurance policy (on)his house was heavily insured against fire; after all his car accidents the company refuses to insure him again
- another word (esp US) for ,
mid-15c., insuren, spelling variant of ensuren (see ). Took on its particular sense of “make safe against loss by payment of premiums” from mid-17c. (replacing assure in that meaning). Related: Insured; insuring.