- given to or characterized by excessive or immoderate indulgence in alcoholic beverages.
- immoderate in indulgence of appetite or passion.
- not temperate; unrestrained; unbridled.
- extreme in temperature, as climate.
- consuming alcoholic drink habitually or to excess
- indulging bodily appetites to excess; immoderate
- unrestrainedintemperate rage
- extreme or severean intemperate climate
“characterized by excessive indulgence in a passion or appetite,” late 14c., from Latin intemperatus “untempered, inclement, immoderate,” from in- “not, opposite of” (see (1)) + temperantia (see ). Related: Intemperately.