isomorphic [ahy-suh-mawr-fik] ExamplesWord Origin adjective
- Biology. different in ancestry, but having the same form or appearance.
- Chemistry, Crystallography. isomorphous.
- Mathematics. pertaining to two sets related by an isomorphism.
To-day we should say that they had dealt with isomorphic groups.
A group may be represented as isomorphic with itself by transforming all its operations by any one of them.
British Dictionary definitions for isomorphic isomorphic isomorphous (ˌaɪsəʊˈmɔːfəs) adjective
- exhibiting isomorphism
Word Origin and History for isomorphic adj.
isomorphic in Medicine isomorphic [ī′sə-môr′fĭk] adj.
- Having a similar structure or appearance but being of different ancestry.
- Related by an isomorphism.