- any of several rapacious seabirds of the family Stercorariidae that pursue weaker birds to make them drop their prey.
- a hunter.
- a member of any of several groups of sharpshooters in the German or Austrian army.
- See jaeger
- military a marksman in certain units of the German or Austrian armies
- a member of a light or mountain infantry unit in some European armies
- US and Canadian any of several skuas of the genus Stercorarius
- rare a hunter or hunter’s attendant
“German sharpshooter,” 1776, from German jäger, literally “huntsman,” from jagen “to hunt,” from Old High German jagon, related to Old Frisian jagia, Dutch jagen “to hunt,” Old Norse jaga “to drive, to move to and fro” (see yacht). Applied to riflemen and sharpshooters in the German and Austrian armies.