- satisfactory; OK; fine: Everything’s jake with me.
- a homemade or bootleg liquor made from or infused with Jamaica ginger, especially during Prohibition in the U.S.
- Also called jake leg, jake-leg paralysis. paralysis caused by drinking this or other liquor made with denatured alcohol.
- a male given name, form of Jacob.
adjective Australian and NZ slang
- satisfactory; all right
- she’s jake everything is under control
colloquial or familiar abbreviation of the masc. proper name Jacob (q.v.). As the typical name of a rustic lout, from 1854. (Jakey still is the typical name for “an Amishman” among the non-Amish of Pennsylvania Dutch country). Slang meaning “excellent, fine” is from 1914, American English, of unknown origin.