- Informal. a word that is hard to pronounce.
- a very hard, usually round, candy.
- Also called jaw crusher. Mining. a machine used to break up ore, consisting of a fixed plate and a hinged jaw moved by a toggle joint.
- Also called: jawcrusher a device having hinged jaws for crushing rocks and ores
- informal a word that is hard to pronounce
also jawbreaker 1839, “word hard to pronounce” (jawbreakingly, in reference to pronouncing words, is from 1824), from jaw (n.) + agent noun from break (v.). As a type of candy, by 1911.