- an object venerated superstitiously and used as a fetish or amulet by tribal peoples of West Africa.
- the magical power attributed to such an object.
- a ban or interdiction effected by it.
- an object superstitiously revered by certain W African peoples and used as a charm or fetish
- the power associated with a juju
- a taboo effected by a juju
- any process in which a mystery is exploited to confuse people
“marijuana cigarette,” 1940, supposedly from reduplicated middle syllable of marijuana.
object of religious veneration among West Africans, 1860, supposedly ultimately from French joujou “toy, plaything.”