- a place for use as a starting point: Paris was the jumping-off place for our tour of Europe.
- an out-of-the-way place; the farthest limit of anything settled or civilized.
- a starting point, as in an enterprise
- a final or extreme condition
- Canadian a place where one leaves civilization to go into the wilderness
- US a very remote spot
A starting point for a journey or venture, as in This tiny village is the jumping-off place for our trek into the desert. This usage probably alludes to jumping into the water. [Early 1800s]
A very remote spot; also, the last place to be reached. For example, This was the jumping-off point for the first gold miners in Alaska. [Early 1800s]