- Nautical. a temporary rig to replace a permanent rig that has been disabled, lost overboard, etc.
- any makeshift arrangement of machinery or the like.
verb (used with object), ju·ry-rigged, ju·ry-rig·ging.
- to assemble quickly or from whatever is at hand, especially for temporary use: to jury-rig stage lights using automobile headlights.
- Nautical. to replace (a rudder, mast, etc.) with a jury-rig: We jury-rigged a fore-topmast after the storm had snapped ours off.
- mainly nautical set up in a makeshift manner, usually as a result of the loss of regular gear