- a system of esoteric theosophy and theurgy developed by rabbis, reaching its peak about the 12th and 13th centuries, and influencing certain medieval and Renaissance Christian thinkers. It was based on a mystical method of interpreting Scripture by which initiates claimed to penetrate sacred mysteries. Among its central doctrines are, all creation is an emanation from the Deity and the soul exists from eternity.
- any occult or secret doctrine or science.
- an ancient Jewish mystical tradition based on an esoteric interpretation of the Old Testament
- any secret or occult doctrine or science
- a variant spelling of kabbalah
1670s, variant of cabbala. Related: Cabalist.