verb (used with object)
- to work (dough, clay, etc.) into a uniform mixture by pressing, folding, and stretching.
- to manipulate by similar movements, as the body in a massage.
- to make by kneading: to knead bread.
- to make kneading movements with: She kneaded her fist into her palm.
- to work and press (a soft substance, such as bread dough) into a uniform mixture with the hands
- to squeeze, massage, or press with the hands
- to make by kneading
Old English cnedan “to knead,” from Proto-Germanic *knedanan (cf. Old Saxon knedan, Middle Dutch cneden, Dutch kneden, Old High German knetan, German kneten, Old Norse knoða “to knead”). Originally a strong verb (past tense cnæd, past participle cneden).