- an enclosure for cattle and other domestic animals in southern Africa.
- a village of the native peoples of South Africa, usually surrounded by a stockade or the like and often having a central space for livestock.
- such a village as a social unit.
- an enclosure where wild animals are exhibited, as in a zoo.
verb (used with object)
- to shut up in a krall, as cattle.
- a hut village in southern Africa, esp one surrounded by a stockade
- an enclosure for livestock
- denoting or relating to the tribal aspects of the Black African way of life
- (tr) to enclose (livestock) in a kraal
“village, pen, enclosure,” 1731, South African, from colonial Dutch kraal, from Portuguese curral (see corral).