- a city in and the capital of the canton of Geneva, in SW Switzerland, on the Lake of Geneva: seat of the League of Nations 1920–46.
- a canton in SW Switzerland. 109 sq. mi. (282 sq. km).
- Lake of. Also called Lake Leman. a lake between SW Switzerland and France. 45 miles (72 km) long; 225 sq. mi. (583 sq. km).
- a city in central New York.
- a female given name.
- a city in SW Switzerland, in the Rhône valley on Lake Geneva: centre of Calvinism; headquarters of the International Red Cross (1864), the International Labour Office (1925), the League of Nations (1929–46), the World Health Organization, and the European office of the United Nations; banking centre. Pop: 177 500 (2002 est)
- a canton in SW Switzerland. Capital: Geneva. Pop: 419 300 (2002 est). Area: 282 sq km (109 sq miles)French name: Genève German name: Genf
- Lake Geneva a lake between SW Switzerland and E France: fed and drained by the River Rhône, it is the largest of the Alpine lakes; the surface is subject to considerable changes of level. Area: 580 sq km (224 sq miles)French name: Lac Léman German name: Genfersee
city in Switzerland, from Latin Genava, perhaps from a PIE root meaning “estuary” or one meaning “bend;” in either case a reference to its situation. The city was the headquarters of the League of Nations from 1920. The original Geneva Convention to introduce humanitarian conduct in modern warfare dates from 1864; the most recent update was in 1949. The Geneva Protocol is a League of Nations document meant to settle international disputes; it dates from 1924. Earlier the city was associated with Calvinism. Meaning “gin” is from 1706 (see gin (n.1)). City in southwestern Switzerland, lying on the western end of Lake Geneva, where the Rhone River leaves the lake.