- a town in and the capital of Aisne, in N France, E of Paris.
- a river in N France, flowing NW and W to the Oise. 175 miles (280 km) long.
- a department in N France. 2868 sq. mi. (7430 sq. km). Capital: Laon.
- a department of NE France, in Picardy region. Capital: Laon. Pop: 535 326 (2003 est). Area: 7428 sq km (2897 sq miles)
- a river in N France, rising in the Argonne Forest and flowing northwest and west to the River Oise: scene of a major Allied offensive in 1918 which turned the tide finally against Germany in World War I. Length: 282 km (175 miles)