- a reddish ferruginous soil formed in tropical regions by the decomposition of the underlying rocks.
- a similar soil formed of materials deposited by water.
- any soil produced by the decomposition of the rocks beneath it.
- any of a group of deposits consisting of residual insoluble deposits of ferric and aluminium oxides: formed by weathering of rocks in tropical regions
- A red, porous, claylike soil formed by the leaching of silica-rich components and enrichment of aluminum and iron hydroxides. They are especially common in humid climates. Laterites that are poor in iron oxides and rich in aluminum oxides are called bauxites. Also called latosol See more at bauxite.