- the action or sound of laughing.
- an inner quality, mood, disposition, etc., suggestive of laughter; mirthfulness: a man of laughter and goodwill.
- an expression or appearance of merriment or amusement.
- Archaic. an object of laughter; subject or matter for amusement.
- the action of or noise produced by laughing
- the experience or manifestation of mirth, amusement, scorn, or joy
n.late 14c., from Old English hleahtor, from Proto-Germanic *hlahtraz (cf. Old Norse hlatr, Danish latter, Old High German lahtar, German Gelächter); see laugh (v.).