- the position or function of a leader, a person who guides or directs a group: He managed to maintain his leadership of the party despite heavy opposition.
- ability to lead: As early as sixth grade she displayed remarkable leadership potential.
- an act or instance of leading; guidance; direction: They prospered under his strong leadership.
- the leaders of a group: The union leadership agreed to arbitrate.
- the position or function of a leader
- the period during which a person occupies the position of leaderduring her leadership very little was achieved
- the ability to lead
- (as modifier)leadership qualities
- the leaders as a group of a party, union, etcthe union leadership is now very reactionary
n.1821, “position of a leader,” from leader + -ship. Sense extended by late 19c. to “characteristics necessary to be a leader.”