- a lecturer in a college or university.
- Roman Catholic Church.
- a member of the next to lowest-ranking of the minor orders.
- the order itself.Compare acolyte(def 2), exorcist(def 2), ostiary(def 1).
- a lecturer or reader in certain universities
- RC Church
- a person appointed to read lessons at certain services
- (in convents or monastic establishments) a member of the community appointed to read aloud during meals
n.late 14c., “reader, a cleric in one of the minor orders,” from Late Latin lector “reader,” agent noun from Latin legere “to read” (see lecture (n.)). Related: Lectorship.