- a diplomatic minister and staff in a foreign mission.
- the official headquarters of a diplomatic minister.
- the office or position of a legate; mission.
- a diplomatic mission headed by a minister
- the official residence and office of a diplomatic minister
- the act of sending forth a diplomatic envoy
- the mission or business of a diplomatic envoy
- the rank or office of a legate
n.mid-15c., from Old French legation and directly from Latin legationem (nominative legatio) “the office of an ambassador,” noun of action from past participle stem of legare (see legate).