verb (used with object), lev·i·gat·ed, lev·i·gat·ing.
- to rub, grind, or reduce to a fine powder, as in a mortar, with or without the addition of a liquid.
- Chemistry. to make a homogeneous mixture of, as gels.
- Botany. having a smooth, glossy surface; glabrous.
- (tr) to grind into a fine powder or a smooth paste
- to form or cause to form a homogeneous mixture, as in the production of gels
- (tr) to suspend (fine particles) by grinding in a liquid, esp as a method of separating fine from coarse particles
- botany having a smooth polished surface; glabrous