- a person who has received a license, as from a university, to practice an art or profession.
- the holder of a university degree intermediate between that of bachelor and that of doctor, now confined chiefly to certain continental European universities.
- a person who has received a formal attestation of professional competence to practise a certain profession or teach a certain skill or subject
- a degree between that of bachelor and doctor awarded now only by certain chiefly European universities
- a person who holds this degree
- mainly Presbyterian Church a person holding a licence to preach