- See under death instinct.
- suicidal tendency or inclination; predisposition to self-destruction.
- Psychoanalysis. an impulse to withdraw or destroy, working in opposition to forces urging survival and creation (life instinct).
- psychoanal the instinct for reproduction and self-preservation
- In psychoanalytic theory, the instinct of self-preservation and sexual procreation.
- A primitive impulse for destruction, decay, and death, manifested by a turning away from pleasure, postulated by Sigmund Freud as coexisting with and opposing the life instinct.Thanatos