- not endowed with life; having no life; inanimate: lifeless matter.
- destitute of living things: a lifeless planet.
- deprived of life; dead: a battlefield strewn with lifeless bodies.
- without animation, liveliness, or spirit; dull; colorless; torpid: a lifeless performance of a play.
- insensible, as a person who has fainted.
- without life; inanimate; dead
- not sustaining living organisms
- having no vitality or animation
adj.Old English lifleas “inanimate, dead;” see life + -less. Meaning “with no living things” is from 1728. Related: Lifelessly; lifelessness.