- the state of being likely or probable; probability.
- a probability or chance of something: There is a strong likelihood of his being elected.
- Archaic. indication of a favorable end; promise.
- the condition of being likely or probable; probability
- something that is probable
- statistics the probability of a given sample being randomly drawn regarded as a function of the parameters of the population. The likelihood ratio is the ratio of this to the maximized likelihoodSee also maximum likelihood
n.late 14c., “resemblance, similarity,” from likely + -hood. Meaning “probability” is from mid-15c.