- having or characterized by qualities considered manly, especially when manifested in an assertive, self-conscious, or dominating way.
- having a strong or exaggerated sense of power or the right to dominate.
noun, plural ma·chos.
- Also ma·cho·ism. assertive or aggressive manliness; machismo.
- an assertively virile, dominating, or domineering male.
- denoting or exhibiting pride in characteristics believed to be typically masculine, such as physical strength, sexual appetite, etc
noun plural machos
- a man who displays such characteristics
1928 (n.) “tough guy,” from Spanish macho “male animal,” noun use of adjective meaning “masculine, virile,” from Latin masculus (see masculine). As an adjective, first attested in English 1959.
- Short for massive astrophysical compact halo object.Any of various massive dark objects, such as a brown dwarf star, black hole, or large planet, found in a galactic halo. MACHOs are thought to make up at least a part of the dark matter that apparently pervades much of the universe.
The often exaggerated, aggressive virility of a male: “Jim likes to wear a torn T-shirt and a black leather jacket when he rides his motorcycle. I guess he thinks it makes him look macho.” The original Spanish word means “male.”