- a large computer, often the hub of a system serving many users.
- a high-speed general-purpose computer, usually with a large storage capacity
- (as modifier)mainframe systems
- the central processing unit of a computer
n.“central processor of a computer system,” 1964, from main (adj.) + frame (n.).
- A large, often powerful computer, usually dedicated to lengthy, complex calculations or set up for use by many people simultaneously. Compare personal computer.
A large, powerful computer system. A mainframe computer typically carries out complex calculations and is shared by many users. (Compare personal computer.)