- a person or thing that makes.
- a manufacturer (used in combination): drugmaker; garmentmaker.
- (initial capital letter) God.
- the party executing a legal instrument, especially a promissory note.
- Cards. the player who first names the successful bid.
- Archaic. a poet.
- go to/meetone’s Maker, to die.
- a person who makes (something); fabricator; constructor
- a person who executes a legal document, esp one who signs a promissory note
- archaic, Scot a poetAlso called (esp Scot): makar
- a title given to God
- go to meet one’s Maker or meet one’s Maker to die
n.c.1300, “one who makes,” also “God as creator,” agent noun from make (v.). Specifically, “manufacturer” by late 14c. To meet (one’s) maker “die” is attested by 1814.