verb (used with object), man·aged, man·ag·ing.
- to bring about or succeed in accomplishing, sometimes despite difficulty or hardship: She managed to see the governor. How does she manage it on such a small income?
- to take charge or care of: to manage my investments.
- to dominate or influence (a person) by tact, flattery, or artifice: He manages the child with exemplary skill.
- to handle, direct, govern, or control in action or use: She managed the boat efficiently.
- to wield (a weapon, tool, etc.).
- to handle or train (a horse) in the exercises of the manège.
- Archaic. to use sparingly or with judgment, as health or money; husband.