Mandaean or Man·de·an [man-dee-uh n] ExamplesWord Origin noun
- a member of an ancient Gnostic sect extant in Iraq.
- the Aramaic language of the Mandaean sacred books.
- of or relating to the Mandaeans.
Origin of Mandaean 1870–75; Mandaean mandayy(ā) Gnostics (literally, the knowing ones) + -an Related formsMan·dae·an·ism, noun Examples from the Web for mandaean Historical Examples of mandaean
The chief depositaries of these Mandaean mysteries are the priests, who enjoy a high degree of power and social regard.
British Dictionary definitions for mandaean Mandaean Mandean noun
- a member of a Gnostic sect of Iraq
- the form of Aramaic used by this sect
- of or relating to this sect
Derived FormsMandaeanism or Mandeanism, nounWord Origin for Mandaean C19: from Aramaic mandaya Gnostics, from mandā knowledge