- action in mediating between parties, as to effect an agreement or reconciliation.
- International Law. an attempt to effect a peaceful settlement between disputing nations through the friendly good offices of another power.
- the act of mediating; intercession
- international law an attempt to reconcile disputed matters arising between states, esp by the friendly intervention of a neutral power
- a method of resolving an industrial dispute whereby a third party consults with those involved and recommends a solution which is not, however, binding on the parties
n.late 14c., from Medieval Latin mediationem (nominative mediatio) “a division in the middle,” noun of action from past participle stem of mediare (see mediator). Related: Mediational. The attempt to settle a dispute through a neutral party.