verb (used without object), med·i·tat·ed, med·i·tat·ing.
- to engage in thought or contemplation; reflect.
- to engage in transcendental meditation, devout religious contemplation, or quiescent spiritual introspection.
verb (used with object), med·i·tat·ed, med·i·tat·ing.
- to consider as something to be done or effected; intend; purpose: to meditate revenge.
- (intr; foll by on or upon) to think about something deeply
- (intr) to reflect deeply on spiritual matters, esp as a religious actI make space to meditate every day
- (tr) to plan, consider, or think of doing (something)
v.1580s, “to ponder,” back-formation from meditation, or else from Latin meditatus, past participle of meditari (see meditation). Related: Meditated; meditating.